This being human is a guest
house. Every morning
a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and attend them all:
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture, still,
treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The Illuminated Rumi
Have you ever noticed that you make judgments about your feelings. When you’re feeling good, happy, at peace you judge these as good feelings to be feeling. When you’re feeling sad, depressed, abandoned you judge these as bad feelings and want to be rid of them — often pretending that you are not feeling these feelings.
The truth is that feelings are neither good nor bad. They are actually your personal guidance system allowing you to know when your thoughts are being generated from love and well-being or from a sense of victimization and I’m not enough-ness.
What you have considered to be your bad feelings are offering you the opportunity to:
- evolve the patterns of thinking that have generated those thoughts
- connect with unconditional love to the part of you that believes those thoughts
- upgrade the software of your mind and create brain pathways that support your dreams.
Inspired Life Practice: Welcome It All
- When you notice yourself judging your feelings as good or bad, acknowledge yourself for noticing.
- Explore what are the thoughts that are generating your feelings by filling in the blanks: When I am feeling __________, I am believing __________.
- When your thoughts are fueling victimization and unhappiness connect with the part of you that is feeling these feelings and allow the feelings to move through you. (Note: This is easier said than done – if you are feeling challenged by feeling your feelings and upgrading the software of your mind, email me for a free 30-minute coaching consultation, Susyn@SusynReeve.com)
Today’s Power Statement: I welcome all my feelings as an expression of love or a call for love.