There are several psychological stages that we must successfully navigate in childhood in order to arrive at adulthood fully prepared for life. These tasks include:
- leaning to trust others, as well as in the overall goodness of our lives
- learning to operate as separate, autonomous beings
- learning to take appropriate risks that demonstrate initiative and ingenuity
- gaining a sense of competence and mastery regarding the basic challenges of life, and
- developing a consistent personal identity
As long as we remain incomplete on any of these tasks, the development of a cohesive and solid sense of self is thwarted.
– Erik Erikson
Identity and the Life Cycle
Have you successfully navigated these stages of development?
Inspired Life Exploration: Your Stages of Development
- Consider Erik Erikson’s psychological states of development and do a personal assessment of your experience of these developmental tasks.
- What are you learning about yourself?
- Are there change you want to make?
- What are they?
Today’s Power Statement: I am an every evolving adult with my sense of personal identity rooted in being a mighty expression of love in the world.